While it’s easy for us to curl up on the couch and binge watch our favorite show on Netflix it is important to stay active during the winter! Staying active is a key component to not only staying in shape but to stay healthy! Staying active does not mean you have to torture yourself with the cold, dry/wet (lets face it, we live in Louisiana) weather. Here are a few tips to stay active and healthy this winter that are simple and effective!
1.Find activities you enjoy. People who actually enjoy the activities they are doing tend to be more active than someone who dreads doing the same workout everyday! Change up the scenery! Try hiking, bike riding or yoga. Bring a friend to help you stay motivated!
2. Make every moment count! We all have to clean so why not make the most of it, sweeping, moping, vacuuming can actually be a good workout. Another chore is walking the dogs. Maybe add an extra walk to your schedule a couple times a week. It’s a great workout and I guarantee your pups will love you for it!
3. Create a home gym! No, this does not mean you have to go get all of the expensive gym equipment and then try to find a place to put it. Getting a few weights, yoga ball, kettle bell and a resistance band are a few simple items you can use to get a good workout and it will not take up a lot of space!
4. Want to stay indoors ? No problem! Look for a place that has an indoor pool or go to a public place like the mall and walk a few laps. You are guaranteed to get your steps in there!
1. Hydrate! We can not stress this enough. Make sure you are getting enough water through the day. Keep a water bottle with you through out the day to sip on.
2. Layer Up. If you are going to do outdoor activities, make sure you layer up. The last thing you want is a cold when you are trying to stay healthy and active.
3. Sunscreen! A lot of people only think to put sunscreen on when it is hot out. This should be part of your daily routine. Get a moisturize that has SPF or use a sunblock that you prefer but it is important to put sunscreen on daily even if you are indoors.
4. Maintain Good Posture! When working out it is important to maintain good posture. Good posture and being upright with all activities to prevent underlying problems to become symptomatic. Sitting on the couch , prolonged walking , during workouts at home having the correct posture or technique will prevent future problems.
If you experience any discomfort give us a call or drop by any of our locations to speak to a therapist. Dutch PT offers free consultations and you will be able to speak with a specialist to see if physical therapy is the right treatment option for you!